You can now get this tool as a Chrome Extension, from the official webstore page.
Or, if you want to sideload it, you can grab a zip file from the latest release.
What is the LinkedIn to JSON Resume Export Tool?
This is a project that I initially quickly threw together, mostly out of frustration that it didn’t already exist. As I outline in the “readme” file in my Github repo for this project, I wanted to export my LinkedIn profile to JSON Resume, which is an exciting standard for storing, sharing, parsing, and generating resumes based on a shared underlying data structure, or schema.
The official LinkedIn APIs are restrictive and require an approval process, and the manual data export option offered by LinkedIn can take up to 72 hours. I was frustrated by this fact, so I built this tool to instantly export a LinkedIn profile page to the JSON Resume standard, which appears in a little popup modal that you can easily copy and paste out of.
On 8/3/2019, I rewrote the tool from a bookmarklet to a browser extension (Chrome extension) to get around some restrictions placed by LinkedIn that were breaking the functionality of the bookmarklet version.
Since the initial release as a simple bookmarklet, this project has seen some major improvements and gained additional features.
- Rewritten as a browser extension, to work with CSP restrictions
- Added support for downloading of JSON file
- Reworked to simultaneously support multiple different schema versions
- Added support for multilingual profiles, and ability to pick export language
- Added vCard export (for import into address book)
- Constant reworking to support changes in the LinkedIn endpoints, specifications, and restrictions
What I Used
- JSON + JSON Schema
- Chrome extension APIs
- Web APIs
- Vanilla JS + HTML + CSS
- And more!